Spring has finally arrived here in New England! My Daffodils are blooming, all the snow has melted, and the thermometer is getting above 50 F! This doesn't mean I'm going to stop hauling out the crock pot and making warm and spicy soups, stews and chili! This one is a recipe I adapted from one I found on allrecipes.com. Here's my version:
Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 pound shredded, cooked chicken
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chili peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- tortilla chips
- shredded cheddar cheese
Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chilies, and garlic into a slow cooker.
Pour in chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf.
Stir in corn and cilantro.
Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours.Serve with tortilla chips and cheese.